RE: imperative/continuance/directive (was: Tech Writer screening questions)

Subject: RE: imperative/continuance/directive (was: Tech Writer screening questions)
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: "Marc A. Santacroce" <epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:44:18 -0400

At 04:36 PM 17/06/00 -0700, Marc A. Santacroce wrote:

I incorporated because many businesses here will not deal with an independent contractor unless they are either incorporated or go through an agency. It's cheaper to incorporate than to lose 25% of your hourly rate forever.
--

You know, I've never understood this attitude.

I've never incorporated, because I suspect the situation might be little different here in Canada than it is in the US. BUT...

I contract both completely independently and through various agencies. Guess what? I get the same hourly rate no matter which method I use.

When an agency calls and proposes a contract, I tell them what my rate is. Period. I am slightly flexible, depending on the contract and the location. But I get the rate I want, or I don't take the contract.

When a client calls and proposes a contract, I tell them what my rate is. Period. I am slightly flexible, depending on the contract and the location. But I get the rate I want, or I don't take the contract.

The rates TO ME are the same. I know that the agency will charge clients a fee on top of my rate. I neither know nor care what that fee is. It's none of my business. If a client wants to pay an agency fee, that's their choice. But it doesn't impact on what I charge.

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net