Re: Ampersand Symbol

Subject: Re: Ampersand Symbol
From: "Danilo Nogueira" <danilo -dot- tradutor -at- uol -dot- com -dot- br>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 09:22:57 -0300

Hi, Henry

In Portuguese the " 'e' comercial" is used as in English in the name of
some
partnerships ("Dombey & Son" - but "Dombey and Son" would be all right too,
all depends on how firm was registered), or sometimes for humorous purposes.
Otherwise the conjunction "and" is always "e". Because the conjunction has a
single
letter, we feel no need for ligatures and abbreviations.

If you need information on Brazilian Portugese that you think will not
interest everybody, feel free to write me in private.

[Because I am a Brazilian translator, not a tech writer, will return to my
lurking post in the background, deep in South America. Am learning a lot,
hope I can be of some help on occasion]

Danilo Nogueira
São Bernardo do Campo SP Bra(s/z)il
Read my articles for the Translation Journal: www.accurapid.com/journal

Treinamento para tradutores e
informações para usuários de programas de memória de tradução:
www.via-rapida.com.br