Re: "Print on demand" and "Docutech"

Subject: Re: "Print on demand" and "Docutech"
From: Wil Gaffga <WilG -at- gibbscam -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:29:25 -0700

Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca wrote:

> 1. I always thought that small runs would be prohibitively expensive. Does
> the Docutech make it reasonable to print 10 or 20 books at a time?
Absolutely. I have done runs as small as 5 copies but typically up to 500.
Beyond that I go offset.

> 2. We use FrameMaker, not Word. I assume that Docutech works with Frame as
> well - is that correct?
> 3. Instead of providing the printing house with the printed pages, I would
> instead generate a ps file from Frame, and send them that ps file - is that
> correct?
> 4. We use the Acrobat Distiller printer driver to produce a ps file for
> Acrobat. Can we use the same printer driver, or do we need a different one?
I have been providing PDFs to several suppliers. This avoids some of the
problems associated with PS files as discussed by Jan. If you get a
reputable (sizable) shop they should be able to set you up with their
preferred parameters and every job should be perfect beyond that.

> 5. Are there any major pros or cons that I should know about?
I have found DocuTech to be an acceptable quality (not great) for small
runs. The speed and the precise results are terrific.

As for P.O.D. ... I have never had it done but a company did a sample for me
... I was less than pleased with the results ... quite poor. Additionally,
the cost per unit is significantly higher than DocuTech. Have sales do a
little planning and DocuTech should be a good answer.

HTH

Wil