RE: "Print on demand" and "Docutech"

Subject: RE: "Print on demand" and "Docutech"
From: Christi Carew <ccarew -at- rangestar -dot- com>
To: 'Jan Stanley' <janstanley -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca'" <Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 15:47:59 -0700

> There are color Docutechs, but I don't believe they can print on
> cover-weight stock, so if you bind your docs in covers, you'll
> need to have (larger runs of) covers printed the traditional way
> and store what you don't use immediately.

Ooh. I didn't know there were color Docutechs. We had the color aspects of
our covers printed "traditionally". That info didn't change. The actual
title was printed in B&W on demand and then bound them with the Docutech
jobs.

> Con: In the projects I was involved with, the Docutech output
> was slightly different from the original documents because the
> fonts used by the Docutech were ever-so-slightly different from
> their counterparts in the original FrameMaker and Word files.
> This led to such problems as poor letter- and word-spacing
> (especially with display fonts) and wrong line- and page-breaks,
> which made a mockery of the time I had spent creating careful
> breaks.

I never had this problem. Possibly because I was on the same platform (Mac)
as the printer?

christi

Christi Carew
RangeStar Wireless
www.rangestar.com

All communication contained in this e-mail is entirely my own and is not
necessarily endorsed by my co-workers or employer.