Re: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)

Subject: Re: question about recruiters (plus a little venting)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: John Prince <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:27:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, John...

> My question: does anyone have some savvy ways to deal with recruiters. I
> am biting my lip from becoming rude with some of them - simply because
> am not used to dealing with them. How do you convey to them that you are
> *only* looking for a certain salary range and you are *only* looking for
> full-time?

The problem is 3% unemployment rate...they need fresh meat from
somewhere...

Anyway. as a contractor that has accepted a string of contracts less than
a year long, I deal with recruiters alot. You asked for how to deal with
then without being rude.

Don't be rude, but be firm. When I get contacted, assuming I'm looking, I
start the conversation as follows:

Recruiter: "Hi, Mr. Posada, I saw your resume on the internet and I think
I have the ideal.."

Me: "Hold on, let me give you the nickel tour of what I'm looking for..My
rate is not to be less than $55 per hour W-2, it must be a contract as
opposed to perm, and it must be within 45 miles driving or within an hour
and a half commute. Shall we continue to talk?"

Recruiter" "The position is for a perm."

Me: "Bummer...but what I'll do is email you a current version of my resume
and if something else comes up or they change their mind, please contact
me...what's your email address?"

As far as propoising a position with a skill that I don't have...Cool! How
do you think I learn the stuff i do...by only accepting something I
already know how to do? Take it...Grow! My primary interest is a position
requiring a skill that I'm weakest with.

OK, so you don't want Lotus Notes experience. Why not?

Also, yes...some will want you to come in to meet them. I'm very firm in
telling them that I've been doing this a long time and I'll only meet them
first if they have a legitimate position to interview with (the company
has seen my resume) and the way we'll meet is in the lobby of the
appointment of a local restaurant that doesn't require me to go alot out
of my way.

I think this all boils down to...they need you more than you need them.
Set the rules of the game the way you want, and first, be firm and if that
doesn't work and they deserve it, be rude...try it..sometimes it's fun!

BTW..about not contracting...having a new family on the way shouldn't
matter...I contract, I have insurance, and I'm just as secure in finding
work as any perm.

=====
John Posada
jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com