Piracy (was RE: recommend a book on Framemaker)

Subject: Piracy (was RE: recommend a book on Framemaker)
From: avobert -at- twh -dot- nbg -dot- de (Alexander Von_obert)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: 25 Jun 00 20:56:00 +0000

Hello,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com an All am 22.06.00

jj> If I own a single user software and even if I uninstall, I lend
jj> a copy to
jj> someonme else, it is still the same. Single-use software is
jj> based on the registered user, not the active seat.

at least here in Germany it is seen quite differently, and this is directly
derived from the copyright laws that were created for books:

- If you buy a book you can do with it as you wish - unless you copy it. No
publisher may define any other rules.

- If you get a license to use a program for an indefinite time and you pay for
that license a single fee, this is exactly the same legal thing as described
above. No publisher can prevent you from selling or lendig your licence. But
definitely the program must not be installed on two machines at the same time.

BTW: Microsoft might fall flat on its face over here as soon as it tries to
lend software over the Internet, requiring repeated fees for specific time
intervals or for every use. Then the users can force MS to fullfill their part
of the deal: Provide a fully functional product and force the lender to
rectify bugs within a reasonable time without any extra fees.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander

--
Alexander von Obert, Urbanstr. 2, 90480 Nuernberg, Germany
Free-lance technical writer (electronics, software)