RE: National Writers Union (NWU)

Subject: RE: National Writers Union (NWU)
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'Fredrick Rea O'Keefe'" <fredrick -at- tech-center -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:41:12 -0400

Rick,

Pertinence of advocacy is in the eye of the beholder, as is the concept of
what constitutes freeloading. If someone spends their own funds for
membership in an organization, they expect some benefit, whether job lists,
legal services, networking or something else.. Your expected benefit may
not be the same as others, but it's really poor form to accuse someone of
freeloading because of such a difference. According to your own definition,
as soon as you have occasion to use its legal and support services, you're a
freeloader.

If this organization is combative, then it may not be serving the purposes
of many writers out there. Combat is hardly my goal as a writer, so I think
it would not be the best choice for me. Which makes me no less concerned
about the welfare of writers and the writing professions. I'm not out to
"screw" anyone, but I have no desire to join an organization that assumes
such about those who don't join. It fairly reeks of dogma and propaganda.

If anyone else reacted the way I did to your post, you probably did more
harm than good for the reputation of the organization.

MTC

Connie Giordano