LDAP "Object" Question

Subject: LDAP "Object" Question
From: "Dawson McKnight" <dawson_mcknight -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:35:42 EDT

This question is for anyone out there who knows something about LDAP or corporate directories in general. (I decided that it MAY be too elementary for a techie listserv, so I'm posting it here, although my research of internal and external LDAP resources hasn't satisfactorily answered the question.)

Is there a standard term for the combination of an object class and a specific entry in a directory of that class?

For example, what should I call CN=John Doe? Is it an object? A context? A node? The LDAP SMEs here (they're really Java developers who dabble in LDAP) are uncomfortable with the term "object," perhaps because it sounds too much like an object oriented programming term, but they can't offer a definitive alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Dawson