re: JavaScript site

Subject: re: JavaScript site
From: "John Prince" <JPrince -at- e-talkcorp -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:10 -0500

Ashu Saini wrote:

"One warning: I suggest that you really learn some JavaScript first, before
you start copying code. Chances that you end up like a sorcerers apprentice
are very high. It has been more than once that we had to fix sites where
people have simply copied code without actually knowing what they have been
doing.

On the other hand, looking at code and trying to understand it is one of
the best method to learn JavaScript."

Ashu, I couldn't agree with you more! It makes me cringe to think of how many
people copy and paste code without understanding the code itself. The potential
for debugging at that point is nil. In fact, there was an article in Intercom
(March 2000) titled "Add Zip to You Site without Coding." The crux of the
article explained where you can find web sites that allow you to copy and paste
JavaScript onto your own page.

I had a problem with that article. Wouldn't an article about how to actually
*SCRIPT* been a little more beneficial to aspiring JavaScripters? Yes, looking
at code is a great way to learn, but copying it, pasting it, and calling it your
own isn't.

Phew! I feel a little better now. ;-)

Teknekron Infoswitch is now e-talk Corporation. Visit our website at www.e-talkcorp.com.