RE: Read-only PDF Files?

Subject: RE: Read-only PDF Files?
From: "Guru Kamath" <guru -at- bom5 -dot- vsnl -dot- net -dot- in>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:38:20 +0530

Hello Peter,

You can create read-only PDF files when you SAVE (or SAVE AS) the PDF file
in Adobe Acrobat. There is a dropdown list (None, Security). Select
Security and click on the Settings button to display the following box.

Security
Open the Document (enter password)
Change Security Options (enter password)

Do Not Allow
Checkbox Printing
Checkbox Changing the Document
Checkbox Selecting Text and Graphics
Checkbox Adding or Changing Annotations and Form Fields

You can select the desired Do Not Allow checkboxes. If you select the
Selecting Text and Graphics checkbox, your readers will not be able to
select text and graphics and will not be able to copy it. For even greater
safety, you may choose the Printing and the Changing the Document box also.
Suggest you do NOT check the Adding or Changing Annotations... checkbox.
Readers should be allowed to add annotations!

You should protect your PDF file by entering a password for Change Security
Options (if not anyone else can change it).

BTW, I have a feeling that you already knew this -- and just needed to jog
your memory. (I have written an elaborate answer so that newbies and others
can also benefit.)

Greetings from India.

Guru
Freelance Technical Writer