Skills

Subject: Skills
From: Melanie Burrett <wirren -at- golden -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 08:43:42 -0400

Hello(: Very recent lurker here. I have a few questions
to pose to the list in general.

I'm trying to get into the field of technical writing. I
am one credit from finishing my B.A., and I have been
taking computer courses at my local Community College
(UNIX, HTML, programming stuff). Will having a B.A. in
Classics hinder me in any way? I've been looking at job
adds and what I've seen is 'technical writing or
english'. Would a recruiter consider Classics to be
equivalent to a degree in english? Personally, I would
consider it to be *more* relevant considering a large
part of the degree focuses on archaeology, which places
a heavy emphasis on report writing...(I'm blathering a
bit, but I just woke up:)

On another note... I just bought a book to teach myself
FrameMaker and XML. Does it matter *where* I acquire
these skills?

Thanks in advance,

Melanie Burrett