RE: Skills

Subject: RE: Skills
From: "Humbird, LenX" <lenx -dot- humbird -at- intel -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:36:48 -0700

Hi Melanie,

I would say that a new college graduate is only marginally qualified to be
considered by contracting agencies. That's because the nature of contracting
implies having some industry experience. But I hope that works out for you.

Andrew pointed out that:
experience is most important,
then availability,
then classroom training,
followed by which way your tassel hangs.

I concur. Having no experience, your first priority is getting experienced.
(Jimmy Hendrix - get the hell out of my head!) Expect job offers to be slim
pickings for now. Therefore, since nobody is going to pay you, your best
strategy is to volunteer your services. Where? Start with non-profit
organizations. Get some real work done, as an apprentice, assistant or
junior level writer/developer. Your goal is to get some writing samples and
letters of recommendation in your portfolio. And while you're at it, get
connected with the STC in your area.

Don't worry about Frame and XML training; that will come through necessity.
Just get started doing *something* useful.

Learn to drink mass quantities of coffee.

I've been contracting for the last 5 years, and doing tech writing for over
15. Andrew is experienced and also runs a contracting agency. So I hope all
this advice is worth something to you.

Best regards,
Len