re: Skills

Subject: re: Skills
From: Bill Swallow <bill_swallow -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L listserv <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 06:35:13 -0700 (PDT)

<snip>
Will having a B.A. in
Classics hinder me in any way?
</snip>

It may a little bit, but the market's really good
right now for tech writing, and there are plenty of
non-tech majors on this list who are successful tech
writers.

<snip>
a large
part of the degree focuses on archaeology, which
places
a heavy emphasis on report writing
</snip>

Sounds good so far...

<snip>
On another note... I just bought a book to teach
myself
FrameMaker and XML. Does it matter *where* I acquire
these skills?
</snip>

As a newbie, you shouldn't be required to know these
tools right out of school, but learning about them
can't hurt. But teaching yourself a tool and using it
on the job are two completely different types of
skills. But like I said, it can't hurt. Glad to hear
you're so gung ho!

=====
Bill Swallow
Technical Writer