Salary?

Subject: Salary?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: Tech Writing List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:49:18 -0500

I'm currently in a job where I work on salary, and I'm trying to negotiate a raise based on the fact that my job requires (although it doesn't consist entirely of) technical writing.

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty finding any salary statistics that justify what I'm asking for. The 1999 STC salary survey gives the median salary in my area of the country at $46,000 for technical writers, and the mean salary for writers my age or with my level of experience at about the same.

This looks low to me, based on the hourly rate I was getting when I was contracting full-time as a technical writer (started at $30/hour in 1996 and over the next couple of years bumped it up to $40/hour -- and these days I'd probably ask for $50/hour). The group of local tech writers I know seem to be in much the same range.

The one local salaried tech writer I know is making $60,000, but I will grant that he's a good negotiator.

Am I just in a pocket of overpaid tech writers? If not, does anyone know any online statistics that do a better job of reflecting current reality?

Thanks for any help!

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." --Andrew Tanenbaum