RE: Salary?

Subject: RE: Salary?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: Stephen Arrants <sarrants -at- roidirect -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 16:11:40 -0500

In our previous episode at 04:13 PM 7/18/00, Stephen Arrants wrote:

Beth Friedman [mailto:bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com] asks

> The 1999 STC salary survey
> gives the median
> salary in my area of the country at $46,000 for technical
> writers [...]
>
> This looks low to me, based on the hourly rate I was getting
> when I was
> contracting full-time as a technical writer

When comparing the figures, are you taking into account the
burdened operating costs an employer pays for an employee? Things like
taxes, social secutiry, state disability, office space and
equipment costs, etc.?

An employee costs more than his/her salary. Comapring an hourly
contracting rate against an hourly employee/staff rate will always appear
unequal.

I am definitely taking that into account. I'm not looking for the same amount of money that I would make as a contractor. I am counting the benefit package as worth 20-30% of salary -- but not 40-50%.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." --Andrew Tanenbaum