(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
From: Kathy10th -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 03:29:41 EDT

Hello everyone,

I work in a small documentation department. We have three writers and a
manager. After much begging and pleading (on my part) we are finally creating
our style guide. Something stumped us today and I thought I throw the
question out to you.

In a printed document, or in a linear online document, I would write the full
name of "whatever" and put its acronym in parenthesis after it. Thereafter in
the document, I would use only the acronym. For example, I use CSC quite
often in my writing. So I would write Customer Service Coordinator (CSC) on
the first usage and then simply CSC after that.

Our documents are published on our company's intranet. They are not printed
and are non-linear. We might have a core document of about 200 pages. The
core document may contain enough information for some users. There are links
from the core document to other documents that contain additional detail.
These ancillary documents could add an additional 500 pages. Since the users
can go from the table of contents directly to the section they want in the
core document and from there to one or more ancillary files - where is the
first usage? Do I have to write Customer Service Coordinator (CSC) every time
I use it? Or, maybe only the first time I use it on a page?

I know a lot of you create online help and so you may have had to deal with
this type of situation. How did you handle it? I appreciate any advice you
care to give. Thanks.

Kathy Kurth
Senior Technical Writer
Graebel Companies, Inc.