Re: OT? Printing a Book

Subject: Re: OT? Printing a Book
From: "Jane Bergen" <jane -dot- bergen -at- usa -dot- net>
To: "Carol Anne Wall" <mmpc0014 -at- pclink -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 10:08:19 -0500

Hi, Carol,

You have a lot of variables that you haven't included: how many pages?
what page size? how many graphics? what kind of graphics? and so
on.... All those questions have to be answered first, before you can
determine your authoring tool.

If you have 200+ pages, I would choose something other than Word.
If you are going to print on a page size other than 8.5 x 11inches,
I'd choose something other than Word.
If you want a lot of razzle dazzle graphics, consider PageMaker,
but...drum roll, please...PageMaker's use of cross-references,
footnotes, etc. are really cumbersome. Weigh this factor carefully.

Probably overall, FrameMaker would be your best choice. It's a little
more third-party-publisher friendly than Word, yet easier to use for
long documents than Pagemaker. It's harder to use for graphics, but
still gives you more precise control than Word.

Most of the fund-raising type cookbooks are published by a handful of
specialty publishers in the midwest (notably Kansas) and they don't do
much else. Instead, I'd look at some genealogy magazines for ads from
companies that publish family history books. That's a little closer to
what you need. There are also lots of wonderful books available on the
subject. If you're interested in some genealogy web sites, let me
know. I have a few tons of them!

Hope that helps. It sounds like a fun project.

Janie Bergen (who is extremely envious that you live in Minnesota!)