RE: "not technical enough"

Subject: RE: "not technical enough"
From: "Dawn Whitlock" <dawn -dot- whitlock -at- clear -dot- net -dot- nz>
To: "Techwr-l" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 18:56:37 +1200

Rebecca

As a newbie techie writer with a couple of years experience under her belt,
I was interested to hear that you were a history major. I also did a
history degree, but always had an inclination towards computers and writing.
I have spent the last two years as a computer trainer, but it is only
recently that my interest in computing and love of writing have finally
blended (after much thrashing around deciding what on earth I wanted to do
with my life).

I was also pleased and interested to see that you recommend taking a
computer programming course. I am teaching myself using SAMS Teach Yourself
Beginning Programming by Greg Perry, but ideally would like to take a class.
I am glad you think it is worthwhile - I started reading this book in an
effort to be able to understand how programmers program so I could see where
they were coming from as I want to continue writing software documentation.

I enjoy reading computer magazines and learning more and more - which I
think *is* important for technical writers who don't necessarily have a
technical background like me (i.e not a computer science graduate etc etc).

Dawn