RE: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems

Subject: RE: Printing from Word using DocuTech systems
From: "Lydia Wong" <lydiaw -at- fpoint -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 14:01:38 -0400

Hi Geoff,

You asked for advice on preparing files for the printer when they are using
DocuTech to produce your books. Well, we don't use Word (we use Frame, lucky
us), but we've had our share of DocuTech problems.

The key is your printer. Either they know what they are doing (making your
life easy) or they don't (making your life hell). One printer we tried to
work with had us go through seven rounds of test printings, and NEVER got
the proof correct. We went with another printer (surprise), who told us how
to set things up and knew what they were talking about. *One* perfect proof
later, and they're now our printer.

For what it's worth, we create PostScript using the DocuTech driver our
printer recommended (and the settings they recommended in the driver setup
and in Frame). We send them the PostScript files for the book. They send
back a proof (usually within a day or two), we approve it (or send
corrections to problems/mistakes on our end), and that's it. Once you've got
the process and driver/DTP settings down, you're set.

To let you know, we've been pretty happy with our DocuTech books, too. No,
they aren't quite the quality that offset printing provides, but they're
pretty good. And you can work with your shading settings in your book and
the printer's darkness settings (I'm sure there's some official printer term
for that, but you know what I mean) to optimize any shading and graphics in
your book.

Just in case you want the information, our printer is Johnson Printing
Service in Texas. They're phone number is (800) 272-7742. Their web site is
http://www.jpsgraphics.com/. We've been very happy with them.

HTH,

Lydia : )
Lydia Wong