TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Writing FAQs for E-Commerce Web Sites From:Holly Dunagan <hdunagan -at- minn -dot- net> To:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com Date:Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:05:32 -0500
Do any list members have experience in writing FAQs or help for e-commerce
web sites? I am starting a project working with advertising to discuss
on-line instructions even though the web site wont be live until next
January. I am wondering how to put something together that will actually be
* Do on-line shoppers expect clear step-by-step help on an e-commerce site?
* Do they expect the copy will be mostly promotional over functional?
* Is there a good rule-of-thumb for the length of answers to FAQ questions?
* Can the FAQs meet the needs of shoppers who are really new to computers
and internet, or must the FAQs focus on the specific application to be
* As a writer, should I be focused on "closing the sale" or on clarifying
My initial thoughts are to serve as a usability Subject Matter Expert for
the advertising department while letting them lead the project. I'd be
interested in exchanging ideas with anyone working on similar projects.
hdunagan -at- minn -dot- net