Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?

Subject: Re: Does anyone still use WordPerfect?
From: "David M. Brown" <dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:09:34 -0700

Mark Levinson wrote:

> I've never understood why, since the invention of WYSIWYG,
> anyone would want to reveal codes. In both Word and Frame,
> even though I can't see codes, it seems pretty clear to me
> what's italicized, what's indented, and what's underlined.
> And if a paragraph is italicized, indented, and underlined,
> I don't particularly care whether it got italicized
> before getting underlined or underlined before getting
> italicized.
>
> So I must be missing something. What's the big advantage?

I don't use WordPerfect, but one advantage would be in solving
the problems that inevitably arise in complex documents, no
matter which program you use. WordPerfect's "reveal codes"
mode lets you see exactly what the program is doing with your
characters and, if necessary, clear unused or misplaced codes
to get things back on track.

Another advantage might be in the success and predictability
of conversions to other formats, especially tag-based formats
like HTML. It'll be really easy to predict how "codes" will
be translated to HTML tags, something Word can be astonishingly
bone-headed about (even though the equivalent of codes *must*
exist *somewhere* in Word's picture of a file).

--David

David M. Brown - Brown Inc.
dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 3, still the easiest way to create and maintain real
back-of-the-book indexes for web sites and other HTML documents.

Now including options for HTML Help and JavaHelp indexes, too!