RE: Quick Comparison of Ventura & Framemaker

Subject: RE: Quick Comparison of Ventura & Framemaker
From: Mike Adams <Mike_Adams -at- summithq -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 08:02:29 -0400

Hiya,

It may be that Ventura has improved. Where I worked years ago, we stopped
using it because it was much too unstable. Having more than 4 crashes per
day was very trying (this was under Windows 3.11) and we were very impressed
with FrameMaker.

If Ventura the features and usability comparable to FM, fine. But as I
remember, Ventura is page-based. I didn't like that in MultiMate (yeah, I'm
old. So what ;-)) or in PageMaker. Two-page spread? Imposition? I don't need
it. How many of you are still doing bound tech docs? Not loose-leaf
hardcopies, but real bound docs?

I thought that most of the features in the list are just golly-gee things.
At least for tech writing. Most of the features seemed better suited for
magazine publication or mass-market books.

Now, as before, I want to start my writing tool and not worry about tweaking
the system to make it run. Or worrying that I'm going to lose work if the
bloody system freezes. I'm already hampered by the wonder ops provided by
microsloth. I don't need any extra worries, you know? When I start up FM in
the morning, I know with reasonable amount of certainty that it isn't going
to send the system to na-na land.

And now that M$ is worming their way onto the scene, you can rely on one
thing: Getting screwed.

Just my Dollar Two Ninety-Eight.

Cheers,

Mike.