Re: moving files between devices

Subject: Re: moving files between devices
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 16:43:34 -0500

In our previous episode at 04:35 PM 10/4/00, Annamaria Profit wrote:

John,

When I bought another computer, the compusa techie told me to just buy a
parallel cable and reboot to add the first computer to my desktop. I
never did it because I decided to give the old one with all the old
software to my sister. But the techies acted as though it were a
standard procedure.

It's standard, and if I could do it, anyone can.

It takes more than rebooting, though. You need to install Direct Cable Connect on both computers (it's included in Win 95 and 98), and set one as client and one as host. Then you need to define what files or directories you want to allow file sharing on.

And you need a cable that will connect parallel port to parallel port on both computers; it costs around $10.

I used Direct Cable Connect to install a bunch of software on CD to my boss' laptop, using my home computer's CD drive, because he didn't have a CD drive on his laptop. It wasn't fast, but it worked.

Dunno about a USB port.

Beth

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from." --Andrew Tanenbaum