Re: Transfering files

Subject: Re: Transfering files
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- home -dot- com>
To: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:38:46 -0400

John Posada wrote:

> I understand that and use it at home. The reason I want to use the
> USB is that I have a zip drive attached to the paralllel of one
> computer and an A/B switch so that my other computer can share the
> zip drive and use a scanner.
>
> I may try serial, but I wanted to use the USB becuase it is
> hot-plugable and also MUCH faster...plus, my desktop has two USB
> ports and one of them connects to an external CD-RW drive.
>
> I can't temp disconnect the network as some of the filles I work on
> are on the network and it would mean downloading a hundred meg or so
> just to move it from one to the other.
>
> Why don't I attach my laptop to the network? I'd need a second IP,
> plus have Network services configure my laptop and yes, it is
> confusing, but when you're "only a contractor", you sometimes don't
> have the full access to network services to configure everyrthing you
> want.

John, I have not tried this, but you could probably pick up an device
for the office machine, if they will let you install it. Your portable
already has an IR port. then the transfers could be made at a very high
speed. That will give you instant disconnect and connect, with one less
cable to brake and lose. (just a thought)

Peter

There are few situations in life that cannot be resolved
promptly, and to the satisfaction of all concerned,
by either suicide, a bag of gold,
or thrusting a despised antagonist over a precipice on a dark night.
Ernest Bramah (Kai Lung stories)