Re: HTMLDOC program and CSS

Subject: Re: HTMLDOC program and CSS
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: Karen Casemier <karen -dot- casemier -at- provia -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:51:22 -0400

Karen Casemier wrote:

> Is anyone out there using the shareware program HTMLDOC

I wouldn't call it shareware. It is available under a GUN Public License,
including source code. http://www.easysw.com

> to generate PDFs from HTML files? This program is wonderful

Yes.

> except for one problem - I would
> like to use the style information from my CSS when I generate the PDFs (I
> created a separate CSS specifically for printing purposes). Instead, the
> program does not allow me to set any style information other than the
> heading and body fonts.
>
> Any suggestions? The help for the product is minimal, and I couldn't find
> any info on the web site.

The program is free but they sell support for $99 a year. Consider buying that
service.

You have the source code, or can have just by downloading it. Consider making
the modifications you need (or having some in your organisation do that) and
sending the results back to Easy Software so we all benefit.

Is there a way to embed the info from your CSS into your HTML to make
htmldoc see it?

There are a bunch of options for formatting in the htmldoc menus. They give
you at least partial control over font choice, layout, ... How much of what
you need to do is possible with them?

Another free tool that will convert many HTML files to one big one, correcting
links and adding a table of contents, is the Amaya browser/editor from w3.org.
It won't do PDF but will print and does understand CSS style sheets.