Trademark Guidelines

Subject: Trademark Guidelines
From: "Dave Bree" <dbree -at- athenet -dot- net>
To: "Tw List" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:35:35 -0500

Jill wrote:
The following questions were _not_ addressed:
1. In printed documentation: Can we also omit descriptor following
trademark, after first and most prominent usage? For example, the
descriptor for Windows NT(R) or Windows(R) 95, 98, or 2000 is "operating
system." Once I've defined it and used it correctly the first and/or most
prominent time, can I thereafter say merely "Windows" or "Windows NT"? It
strikes me as odd, because that's a little bit how Kleenex got into trouble
- descriptor "tissue" got left off pretty frequently!
2. What about on Web sites? My gut feeling is first use on each page,
because you don't always know how someone will come into the Web site, but I
thought I would check with the group.

1) When referencing an operating system, the name of the operating system
should be used as a verb followed by "operating system", not a noun.
Example: "the Windows NT operating system" is preferred, referring to it as
"Windows NT" preferred.

2) A common guideline to follow for including a service mark, whether in
print or electronic format, is to include it in the title and the first
occurance in the document. Beyond that, it isn't necessary.

Also, many software vendors such as MS, Novell, Computer Associates, etc.
post on their web site guidelines for how they prefer to see their product
names used.

Hope this helps.

Dave Bree
ImproMed, Inc.