FWD: Contractor and CorelDRAW

Subject: FWD: Contractor and CorelDRAW
From: <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 06:06:47 -0600 (MDT)

Recently my department got a new contractor to work on some documentation:
the updated version of a manual that I worked on last year, and a new
manual. The graphics package in use by this department is CorelDRAW 9.

The new contractor hasn't used CorelDRAW for several years (not since
version 6) and is finding it hard to learn. Instead, the contractor's
proposed using a different graphics package (one with lots of standard
graphics shapes, not a vector-based one) for the new illos in the
documentation.

I agree that CorelDRAW is tricky to learn. I think the end-results are
good, however, and I'm definitely not happy with having two different types of
graphics in use in the same manual, let alone in the same (small)
department. I want to be able to edit graphics files, not just deal with
them as images. I want the new contractor to be happy using CorelDRAW...
is this such an impossible ambition?

I've thought that the two of us could take a half day and I could show the
new contractor some of the tricks and short-cuts I've learned. But if
anyone has any good ideas about how to reconcile someone to a package they
feel faintly hostile to (preferably not involving jelly-beans or ice-cream) I
would appreciate advice...

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.