Re: Staff retention: how to keep 'em down on the farm?

Subject: Re: Staff retention: how to keep 'em down on the farm?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 10:39:25 -0700

"Hart, Geoff" wrote:

> Ross Squire is <<... participating in a panel discussion on designing
> effective strategies for retaining technical writing and training staff. I
> am interested in your comments on improving staff retention or any effective
> strategies that you have implemented.>>

I suspect that any discussion of this topic has to start with the
realization that you can't. There are too many jobs, and not
enough writers. In addition, many people drift into tech-writing
from other fields, and some drift out again. So, for the
foreseeable future, I suspect that the turnover rate is going to
be high.

That said, Geoff gives a good summary of how to keep people for
as long as possible. I don't think I can improve on what he said,
so let me add a few ways NOT to keep people:

- Offering stock options: The fact that stock options are widely
referred to as "lottery tickets" says it all. Nobody's impressed.
These days, stock optons are as sexy as UI benefits.

- Inconsistent management: Nothing hurts morale faster than a
manager whose behaviour and policy keeps changing. From what I've
observed, people will tolerate a manager who's not very outgoing
or personable far more than one who's a loose cannon.

- Isolating and ignoring writers: Like anyone else, writers like
to feel a part of things, and to feel that their work has value.
Making it clear that documentation is an afterthought and that
the people who do it aren't important is guaranteed to make your
turnover so high that you'll need a moving walkway between your
office and the elevator.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"It takes your sweat as well as art,
To dig a channel for the human heart."
-Oyster Band, "The Early Days of a Better Nation"