RE: Forcing FrameMaker to save backups to named folders...

Subject: RE: Forcing FrameMaker to save backups to named folders...
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch>
To: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:13:18 +0200

Sean and Michael,

the problem with moving the backup documents out of the document directory is that Framemaker is actually looking for them if it crashes, or the document somehow got corrupted. So, if you move away the backup behind Framemaker's back, you may end up with more data loss than otherwise.

I might see why the backup documents should be moved out of the directory. If there is a batch process which does something with the documents, doesn't it make sense to run it only when the documents of that directory are final. If so, just let that batch process delete the backup documents.

Keep in mind that the main reason for the backup document is to provide a backup in order to minimize the lost work when something goes wrong. That also means that if you are working in a rock-solid environment and do frequent saves, you could even not do any backup documents at all (if I remember correctly, there is an option to suppress those documents).

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering
Low Paper workflows, Smart documents, PDF forms
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
http://www.prodok.ch

[ Building Bridges for Information ]

No.

Not in 6, either.

The only thing you can do is to write a batch file that moves all the
*backup* documents to a place of your choosing. (I agree, sometimes it's the
little things . . ..)

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com