Re: Knowledge/Document Management Tool

Subject: Re: Knowledge/Document Management Tool
From: Lindsay -dot- Doyle -at- firstunion -dot- com
To: sseigler -at- hotmail -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:35:59 -0400

Sherri,

At my last contract we used a tool called Documentum
(http://www.documentum.com/) for document management of upwards of 3000
docs. The docs were predominately MS FrontPage docs that we were
converting to new HTML templates based on revisions by SMEs. Documentum is
customizable to the client so we chose the features that we wanted. We
were able to create PDF renditions of the HTML docs so that the SMEs could
use Adobe's annotate tool to add their comments. They would then pass the
document on in the workflow to a TW who would then open both the annotated
PDF and the HTML documents and make the revisions. The TW, in turn, would
pass the documents on in the workflow to Legal/Compliance who would review
the docs prior to pushing them out on the company intranet. We were able
to select and customize the following options: *workflow - by group or
person so that docs would automatically go where you want them to;
*document type - we used PDF and HTML, although we were told that
Documentum could handle ANY file type (.xls, .doc, etc.); *version control
- we kept all versions of each doc from the starting doc to the ending doc
allowing us to go back to an earlier version and recapture something that
may have been deleted in a later version; *functionality - we were able to
designate some of the buttons that were available on the dialog boxes such
as "Reassign", which allowed us to pass a document on to another person or
group without moving it forward in the workflow.

One caution: we ran into performance issues (system crashing, all
functionality not available, etc.) with users that ran Windows 95. Those
of us that ran Windows NT or Windows 98 were able to avoid these issues.
It is possible that the company standard Windows 95 was to blame rather
than the Windows 95 OS (our company standard set very specific options on
each workstation).

Hope that helps. Contact me if you have any other questions!
Lindsay

Sherri Seigler wrote:

<snip>Anybody know of a great system that will handle these minimum capabilities.<snip>