Re: The OTHER Test

Subject: Re: The OTHER Test
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:46:46 -0400

In an effort to bring this back on topic...

One of the marks of good writing is clarity (unless you're a lawyer, I
suppose). One of the characteristics I look for in a writer is the
ability to think logically.

Now I recognize that logic and clarity, let alone moral, environmental,
and ethical considerations, carry minuscule weight in the calculus of
corporate decision-making; but when I have been confronted with a
drug-testing requirement for employment, I have stated clearly, in
writing, that I recognize the _power_ of the corporation to demand it
but I do not recognize their _right_ to demand it. I have then complied
with the requirement.

This tactic has invariably led to a fruitful discussion of the
dialectics of employment, which has served to impress upon future
employers that I'm someone they can come to when clear thinking is
required. It has never cost me a job and has often gotten me interesting
assignments.