In reference to number of steps

Subject: In reference to number of steps
From: rhoggan -at- lewis -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:58:14 -0500

First, I guess I've been so indoctrinated into only using 7 steps (give or
take a little), that when I see more I seem overwhelmed. Does anybody share
this sentiment? Is it something our users may have become accustomed to?

Second, what are your thoughts about steps in online documentation,
specifically Help applications. I personally like to see less than five,
because I hate to toggle back and forth between help and the application to
complete what needs to be done. It seems that if it electronic procedures
can be that concise, the better. Perhaps that involves more advanced
documentation procedures. What do you all think?