In Reference to Drug Testing

Subject: In Reference to Drug Testing
From: rhoggan -at- lewis -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:51:12 -0500

I've read through all the responses to the OTHER test, and I still can't
determine why people are so opposed to initial drug testing. It costs
employers a lot of money to hire a new employee and get them up to speed.
If I were hiring, I would want to pick the most qualified candidate with
the smallest risk on my investment. I'm not saying drugs affect the
performance of the employee, but often reflect the employee's dedication.
If you can't stop taking drugs while you are trying to get a job and
provide for yourself, you certainly won't give a damn about the company if
you are hired.

I have personal experience working with employees who openly used drugs.
They wasted a lot of time at work and a lot of my time, because I had to
verify what they were doing all of the time to make sure it was done
correctly (or done at all).