Tele/e-commuting

Subject: Tele/e-commuting
From: Steve Shepard <STEVES -at- YARDI -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:40:48 -0700

A couple of people in my group would like e-commute a few days a week. I
have worked from home a few days over the last few months and have gotten a
great deal done on those days, so I am open to the idea. Upper management
is a bit skeptical. The extra cost of a laptop verses a desktop computer is
one issue, the expense of phone and/or DSL line is another. The biggest
concern seems to be, "are they going to sleep till noon and spend more time
doing laundry and playing with the dog than working?"

I'm interested in hearing from those managing people. What do you think
about the idea. What have been your experiences, both positive and negative.
How to you gauge productivity (how do you gauge productivity in your doc
group apart from e-commuting?)? How do you deal with personality types...
some people need more supervision than others, some are self-starters, some
aren't. How do you deal with someone when it's obvious it's not working for
them?

If you convinced the powers that be it was a good idea, how did you go about
that?
Steven Shepard
Manager, Documentation Group
Yardi Systems, Inc.