RE: Simultaneous Author Access to files

Subject: RE: Simultaneous Author Access to files
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:13:02 -0400

<from original>
Are there ANY tools and/or Document Management Systems that will let us have
free rein to open and edit whatever needs editing, regardless of whether
someone else is using it or not? Or am I asking for the Holy Grail here?
<end quote>

Document Management or Version Management software is all about locking any
version of a file that is being modified. Between the time that a writer
checks it our and then checks it in, nobody else can touch it. Any other
system gets out of control.
Why?
If two writers are making changes to the same doc at the same time, the only
changes that get saved are the ones made by the 2nd writer who saves his or
her version. The first writer to save his or her work loses. If this
describes your problem, then any decent Version Management software will
solve it. (If you enforce the rules.)
But, if you really plan to give two writers read/write access to the same
file at the same time, it seems that you're just asking trouble.

Or, am I missing something?

Jim Shaeffer
jims -at- spsi -dot- com