Re: Word hyperlinks

Subject: Re: Word hyperlinks
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 10:32:40 -0700 (PDT)

"Scott Turner" wrote in message ...

> You are off your nut. Word does not do that. If you want PDF
> hyperlinks, you will have to write a macro to embed the postscript
> commands into the file. Which may not work in the final effort
> anyway. It certainly is NOT sustainable.

Word can ABSOLUTELY do this and it is very easy.

Install Acrobat. User 4.05 it has the least amount of quirks.
Word 2000 is also preferred.

When you want to PDF the doc, use the Make PDF macro. The Acrobat install
places this in Word. It should place a menu item on the File menu or an Acrobat
PDF toolbar. This launches the PDF maker.

On the OUTPUT tab, select the items you want to link. Note that one of the
options is Internet Links.
On the BOOKMARKS tab, select the headings/styles you want to put in the TOC.
Use the DISPLAY OPTIONS tab to configure how it all displays.

You may need to setup the distiller to handle your fonts. Acrobat becomes
fussy when it gets fonts it doesn't like.

Otherwise, the final PDF looks great and is very easy to produce. I've done
this thousands of times its a breeze. The links work fine (although don't put
any punctuation after the link, Acrobat doesn't like that sometimes.)

Andrew Plato

http://im.yahoo.com/