Re: Simultaneous Author Access to files

Subject: Re: Simultaneous Author Access to files
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 11:55:26 -0700

Jim Shaeffer wrote:

> Why?
> If two writers are making changes to the same doc at the same time, the only
> changes that get saved are the ones made by the 2nd writer who saves his or
> her version. The first writer to save his or her work loses. If this
> describes your problem, then any decent Version Management software will
> solve it. (If you enforce the rules.)
> But, if you really plan to give two writers read/write access to the same
> file at the same time, it seems that you're just asking trouble.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Well, you could be. On Linux, you can use a tool called diff3 to
compare an original document with two modified versions, and merge
the changes into one document. The only catch is that, if the two
modified versions differ, the third document over rides the changes
in the second, so you have to keep things fairly well-organized. But
that's true of any version control system.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux