Re: So...how do I break into tech writing?

Subject: Re: So...how do I break into tech writing?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- kinzan -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:40:31 -0700

"Susan W. Gallagher" wrote:

> And the secret to breaking into any new career is networking.
> Join a professional society. Get to know your potential peers.
> Listen a lot, talk a little,... If you can afford it, take on
> an internship.

I agree that networking helps. But professional organizations
(maybe especially professional organizations for writers) tend to
be talking shops more than anything else.

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with that if that's
what you want. Nor should you exclude any possible source of
information. But if finding work is your goal, network with the
headhunters. It's not a bad idea to attend local events where you
can meet managers informally, either.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"It takes your sweat as well as art,
To dig a channel for the human heart."
-Oyster Band, "The Early Days of a Better Nation"