RE: Simultaneous annotation of documents: second try

Subject: RE: Simultaneous annotation of documents: second try
From: "Thomas Quine" <quinet -at- home -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:05:55 -0700

> Word 2000 allows you to have several people work on copies of the same
> document in separate files. You can then use the "compare documents" and
> "merge documents" features to consolidate the comments and revisions into
> one file.
> The process works in a similar fashion to the "Track Changes" feature, in
> which the person merging the documents is allowed to move from change to
> change and approve or reject changes.
> Word 2000 also incorporates versions, which allow you save several
versions
> of a file within the same file, and compare versions in the same manner.
> For the record, I'm not saying anything about Word is that easy or that
> intuitive. Under ideal circumstances it works - under anything but optimal
> circumstances what you get is the whole file regarded as one complete
change
> that you must either approve or reject...
> - Thom
> www.documen.com

Earlier this week, I asked whether anyone knew of a way to have two workers
simultaneously edit a Word 97 document. I received no responses, which
suggests that Word doesn't support this feature. (I'm not surprised; that's
not how the software was designed.) So let me rephrase the question:

Is there any _other_ way to let several people annotate a Word document and
then consolidate the comments into a single document? For example, I know
Acrobat's Business Tools has something similar, but does it actually let
everyone work on a single file simultaneously, or do you still have to work
sequentially (or combine the comments from several files)? Has anyone tried
converting the Word file to HTML and annotating _that_ with a solution such
as the "second voice" software? Has anyone come up with something truly
creative that I haven't mentioned?

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca