FrameMaker 6.0 & Help Files

Subject: FrameMaker 6.0 & Help Files
From: Kathrene Petersen <kpetersen -at- excalib -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 12:59:35 -0700

Currently we use an labour intensive process to create our documentation
first in HMTL (FrontPage), then for windows help (RoboHelp) and finally in
FrameMaker (FM) for the hard copy version. Uhg.

This is a legacy process that came about because there was never enough time
to design and implement a new one.

I did some research with FM 5.5 but the HTML functionality had some
inconveniences which seem to remedied in FM 6.0 (saw demo last week at STC
meeting in San Diego).

I have recommended that we use FM 6.0 as the primary documentation tool and
that the HTML could be generated right from FM and tweaked with the provided
Webworks tool. The only part I'm currently missing is how to easily create
the windows-type help using this process.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share?

In FM 6.0 Adobe has replaced the look and feel of the FM help interface with
the standard help interface. Does anyone know how they did that? Did they
use their own product to do it?

Thank you in advance,

Kathrene Petersen