RE: FrameMaker 6.0 & Help Files

Subject: RE: FrameMaker 6.0 & Help Files
From: "Michele Marques" <marquesm -at- autros -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:08:52 -0400

Kathrene Petersen writes:
> Currently we use an labour intensive process to create our documentation
> first in HMTL (FrontPage), then for windows help (RoboHelp) and finally in
> FrameMaker (FM) for the hard copy version. Uhg.
[...]
> I have recommended that we use FM 6.0 as the primary
> documentation tool and
> that the HTML could be generated right from FM and tweaked with
> the provided
> Webworks tool. The only part I'm currently missing is how to easily create
> the windows-type help using this process.

I don't think you can do much tweaking with the provided Webworks tool. I am
using FM 5.5.6 with WebWorks 2000, but have heard that if you use FM6 that
you need to upgrade your WebWorks to "WebWorks Professional" to be able to
tweak the HTML - on the other hand, maybe it is good enough output for you
to tweak in FrontPage.

That being said, there are two tools I know of to get your documentation
into both HTML and WinHelp from FrameMaker. WebWorks Professional will do
both, as will ForeHelp Premiere.
ForeHelp Premiere is a help development tool that imports MIF files and can
build HTML, WinHelp and other help. Note that for graphics, ForeHelp can
only accept GIF, JPG, BMP and maybe PNG - it cannot deal with TIF or
graphics drawn directly in FrameMaker (e.g., for call-outs). WebWorks
Premiere can deal with any graphics you can use in FrameMaker.

Michele Marques
Technical Writer,
Autros Healthcare Solutions
marquesm -at- autros -dot- com