Re: Simultaneous Author Access to files

Subject: Re: Simultaneous Author Access to files
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:54:21 -0600

Maggie,

I guess I'm one of these people who has used master documents with a
fair amount of success.

I have encountered some problems with format--where it's important to
know how Word sorts out style definitions where, for example, header 1
is defined as Times New Roman 12 point in the subdocument and Arial 12
point in the master document. But I've never encountered missing
sections.

For one recent project, it was a godsend. The end product was a
graphics heavy, 300 odd page manual. Being able to work on it one
section at a time took a big burden off the system resources.

Oddly enough, the final document was printed on subdocument at a time
without opening the master document. One, the document was too big
for a PC with only 32 MB of RAM. Two, the other people in the office
would have killed me for tying up our only printer for such a long
time without interruption.