RE: LaTeX and MS-Word: Finding Common Ground

Subject: RE: LaTeX and MS-Word: Finding Common Ground
From: "Jennifer Freeman" <basilisk -at- acm -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:51:21 -0500

I think the system you are looking for to merge such documents is called a
"grad student". :-P Specially made for the grunt work this entails. :-P
Failing that, I would suggest that they ask the editors of the scientific
journal they are targeting what the prefered format is for submitted papers;
then one of them is going to have to be responsible for typing in the
other's work.
The problem with trying to merge anything in LaTeX with anything in Word is
that LaTeX and Word are two very different kinds of programs. Word is a
WYSIWYG word-processing application, while LaTeX is a page-formatting
language; the technological paradigms they are based on are extremely
different.
I wish you luck in your quest for a solution. And if you find one, let me
know. I am aquainted with a large group of mathematicians and computer
scientists (LaTeX) who collaborate with biologists (MS Word) who have been
looking for a solution for several years now.
-Jennifer Freeman
basilisk -at- acm -dot- org