GUI names: forms vs. windows?

Subject: GUI names: forms vs. windows?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 10:32:01 -0400

Mark Baker is <<... currently reviewing/updating our in-house style guide
and would like to know how others have answered the "Are these called forms,
windows, or something else?" question, as in "Click OK to open the XYZ

Depends on the audience. Pretty much anything that opens a new screen on a
modern computer is technically a "window", but that's thinking of things
from the programmer's perspective. From the user's viewpoint, you should
name the window based on what the user will do with it; thus, if the window
lets the user enter data in something that resembles a form, then you should
call it a "form".

--Geoff Hart, FERIC, Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."--Goethe

Learn how to develop HTML-based Help with Macromedia Dreamweaver!
Dec. 7-8, 2000, Orlando, FL -- $100 discount for STC members. or 800-646-9989.

Your web site localized into 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than
you think. Download ForeignExchange's FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
translation management" at

You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: archive -at- raycomm -dot- com
To unsubscribe send a blank email to leave-techwr-l-obscured -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Send administrative questions to ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Previous by Author: Print services recommendations?
Next by Author: Color technology--opinions?
Previous by Thread: Re: _Top_Ten_Myths_of_Technical_Communication
Next by Thread: Antwort: LaTeX and MS-Word: Finding Common Ground

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads