Re: _Top_Ten_Myths_of_Technical_Communication

Subject: Re: _Top_Ten_Myths_of_Technical_Communication
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:15:11 -0700

Sanjay Srikonda wrote:

> I agree with the sentiment about programmers, but speaking as an ex-P/A, in
> the "good ol days of pre-Internet", nowadays, companies wanting to get VC
> (Venture Capital) funding are realizing that good documentation is AS
> important as the programming.

For one thing, the VCs need someone to explain what they're getting
into. Last week, I spend a considerable chunk of time helping to
revise a business plan. One thing that became increasingly clear to
me is that, with the present unstable market, investors are getting
very cautious. It's not like last year, when investors rushed to
Open Source companies because they were part of the latest buzzword,
only to draw back in horror when the concept was explained to them.

Also, in case anyone thinks that I was bashing programmers, I want
to add that the geek mystique is mostly among the very young and the
mediocre programmers. In my present job, I'm very lucky to be
working - albeit long-distance - with programmers who are leaders in
their fields. These people are task oriented rather than ego
oriented, rarely afraid to admit when they don't know something, and
treat everybody with respect. Needless to say, the job atmosphere is
excellent.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Contributing Editor, Maximum Linux

"Haven't you ever harbored the secret thought that Huck and Jim are
- at this instant - poling their raft down some river just beyond
our reach, so much more real are they than the shoe clerk who fitted
us just a forgotten day ago?"
- Dan Simmons, "Hyperion"