RE: Document Review

Subject: RE: Document Review
From: Auri Poso <auri -dot- poso -at- ztango -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 15:37:37 +0200

I've also had good results distributing a brief explanation of how
to comment. It included:
- What sort of things to point out (depending on project stage,
"look at the structure in the TOC", "no proofreading but see if
the content is okay" etc - I'm paraphrasing of course)
- When the comments must reach me
- How to physically insert the comments - a lot of programmers
don't know how to use Word features
- How to get the comments to me ("by e-mail", "rename the online
file with your initials" etc.)

.apo

>From: Tom Murrell [mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com]
>
>>--- Jean Cooper <Jean -dot- Cooper -at- twtelecom -dot- com> wrote:
>>
>> What is the best way to solicit feedback?

>I don't think you should be reluctant to distribute electronically, as
>long as you keep the 'official' draft safe from changes. Each reviewer
>can comment or otherwise mark up their copies without messing with your
>'official' version. YOU can then control what goes into that and what
>doesn't. Have them use DIF marks and different styles in their
>comments/changes (in MS Word you can have them use the track changes
>feature to handle this part...other programs have similar
>capabilities).
>
>Set a reasonable time, but not too long, to get comments. Then plan to
>hold a meeting to review/resolve conflicting suggestions, which you
>will get. Plan also to follow up individually with reviewers who
>'forget' or get 'too busy' to send you comments or participate in the
>review meeting.
>

>=====
>Tom Murrell
>Lead Technical Writer
>Alliance Data Systems
>Columbus, Ohio
>mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
>Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/

TECH*COMM 2000 Conference, Help Technology Conference, and more
http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230