RE: Client contact - WAS WAY OT: Anyone know where I can find a C ompaq IPAQ 3650 in stock?

Subject: RE: Client contact - WAS WAY OT: Anyone know where I can find a C ompaq IPAQ 3650 in stock?
From: "Leslie Johnson (Wasser)" <a-leslij -at- microsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 08:54:22 -0800

Sanjay asked:
<snip>
how many of the TWs on this list have direct contact with
clients?...something a lot more informal where you actually meet or
interface with your end-users?</snip>

Sanjay, I was in technical documentation consulting for almost 6 years,
where my bottom line depended on whether I was able to meet the success
metrics I set with my clients. I found that it was absolutely invaluable
(and really important, too!) to meet with real-live end users regularly
throughout the course of the project. This included:
- focus groups to set goals (user groups are great!)
- trusted client reviewers - these people help you keep your project
completely focused on audience needs
- client-based usability testing groups - watching the clients go through
the software using the draft documentation was a real education.

The end users helped my clients and I to set realistic goals that actually
met their needs. As well, when we talked to the users about what they liked
best, hated most, wanted to see most, never used, etc., their answers always
contained a surprise. We always went into the job "knowing" what our users
wanted, and always came away from user meetings astounded at how much we
really didn't know.

OK - having done the sales pitch...
When I first introduced the possibility of talking to end users, I found
that most of my clients fell into 2 categories:
- "Why would we do that? We know what they want already. This is just a
waste of time!"
- "I'm sorry, I thought I heard you say you wanted to talk to the users.
HAHAHA! Of course we can't tell them what we're doing - it's a secret!"

I had to sell the concept everywhere I went. (Still do, come to think of
it!) I can't stress the importance enough, but you're going to have to work
for it. If you want some tips, contact me off-list (don't want to bore the
list with this stuff!).

Good luck!
Leslie Johnson

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230