Re: variation on Re: press or click.....

Subject: Re: variation on Re: press or click.....
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 09:14:30 -0500

At 06:15 AM 11/3/2000 -0500, Dan Roberts wrote:

I felt that I wanted the second clause to let the user know how
much effect a No would have: would it merely back out the last action, would it
abort the whole process, would it abort your selections and return you to the
initial selection window? Opinions?

In a Windows or Mac UI that adheres to the published standards, "No" and "Cancel" are two different choices, and in many cases, both should be available. However, in your example, the "No" button should really have been "Cancel," and would therefore need no explanation to anyone familiar with the operating system (assuming Mac or Win, that is).

(Basically, "No" answers the displayed question, and continues the process based on that answer. "Cancel" interrupts the process, and backs the user out to the starting place as if the process had never happened. The classic example is when you close an unsaved document, and you get the question "Save the document first?" The answers can usually be yes, save it and close; no, don't save it but still close; or cancel my request to close the document.)

Hope that answers your question,
----->Mike