RE: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved.

Subject: RE: 'Stereotype' thread - evolved.
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:28:22 -0500

On 11/08/00 1:18 PM, Jeff Hanvey (jewahe -at- MailAndNews -dot- com) wrote:

>I do foresee that, as more people go online, and typing E-mail replaces
>phone conversations, English is going to be dramatically altered - and
>many of the old rules are going to fall by the wayside.

Your title of "Prophet and Seer" should be intact with that prediction,
but it's not unique to today's young 'uns. You might say "as more people
travel, English is going to be dramatically altered," or "as more people
read" or "as more people talk to their neighbors."

Language both has rules and is evolving, no matter how contradictory
those statements may seem. The Internet *may* speed up the evolution, but
the evolution was going to happen anyway.

You'll go crazy *and* be doomed to failure trying to enforce all of the
rules of a language strictly, as the language police do in France, but
you also can't surrender and write like your average 13-year-old online
(no matter what other peeps say about ur posts).

All writers in whatever age have walked the line between writing the way
people speak and writing the way they've been taught. In our field (heads
up: TECHWR-L relevancy approaching), you can't take the high road or the
low road... take the road that makes your material clear to most of your
audience.

Hope this helps someone...

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230