RE: training material and training sessions

Subject: RE: training material and training sessions
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:38:42 -0800

Valerie Gilliotte wrote:

| Here are my questions:
| 2) As a tech writer, is training a natural progression
| in such a way that I do have to accept and add
| training sessions to my duties (if my boss asks me
| to)?

In my experience, good technical writers can often become good curriculum
developers. That is, they can learn to create good training materials.
Again, in my experience, very few technical writers make good trainers. For
presenting technical training, you really want someone who is a trainer, not
a technical writer. (Just to even the balance here, I'll add that, in my
experience, very few technical trainers are actually good at developing
curriculum and training materials.)

| 3) Are there Web sites that give hints for writing
| training materials?

Dunno. You might try a search engine.

Regards,

David Knopf (mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com)
Knopf Online (http://www.knopf.com)
Tel: 415.550.8367

RoboHELP MVP & Certified RoboHELP Instructor
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer
Co-moderator, HATT & wwp-users

http://www.SolutionsEvents.com or 800-448-4230